Monday, January 10, 2011

What I didn't know about running (and other tips to be smarter than I was)

Before I share my very limited wisdom about running, let me start off this blog entry by saying that I was down a pound at my weekly morning weigh-in. Yay! I did really well sticking to my eating plan during the week, but I tend to struggle a lot on the weekends. This weekend was no exception. So I'm glad that despite a couple of less than perfect days, I still managed to see some results from my careful eating throughout the week.

Okay, now for the good stuff...

Any runner is used to hearing comments about how hard running is on your body or how "bad" running is for you. In some senses, it's true. Yes, running is hard on your joints and can lead to serious issues. Believe me, I'm well aware of this. But running is also a really, really good cardiovascular activity. I have never done anything else that burns nearly as many calories as running. It's easy, you don't need a lot of equipment, it's accessible, relatively inexpensive, and to be honest, many people out there genuinely enjoy it. Besides, if the choice is between running and not doing anything, do you really think not doing anything is healthier?

Now, there are ways to be smart about it, many of which I did not pay any attention to, which is at least partially why I ended up injured and needing surgery. So please, please learn from my mistakes!
  1. Good running shoes really do make a big difference. The shoes that they sell at Kohl's for $40 probably aren't going to provide enough support and cushioning to keep you healthy. Replace your shoes every 350 - 500 miles.
  2. Endurance comes before speed. If you're just starting out, don't worry about speed at first. Build up some of your endurance and some mileage - speed comes later.
  3. Stretching is important. Do it. You don't have to stretch right before you run, in fact stretching after you run is usually better because your muscles are warm, but make time to stretch.
  4. Take rest days. When you first start running, only go three or four times a week and take rest days in between. This gives your body a chance to recover from the new strains and stresses.
  5. Core strengthening - do it! Okay, I admit that I heard this advice, listened to how important it was, and still ignored it. One of the major reasons I had so many problems is that my core and support muscles were weak and I overcompensated with other muscles which led to the strain on my IT band (that's my very technical explanation). Core strengthening does not just mean abs and lower back! It also means hips and glutes. And spend time strengthening the hamstrings and quads, while you're at it. Bridges and wall squats are really good for this. If you don't know how to do these, call around to running stores, gyms, or orthopeodic centers until you find someone that can show you how to do them correctly. It's worth it! Yoga and pilates are also good options.
  6. Ramp up your mileage slowly. They say you should only increase your mileage by about 10% a week. So if I run four 3-mile runs one week for a total of 12 miles, the most I should add for the next week is an additional 1.2 miles.
  7. Listen to your body. If something hurts, stop running. Ice, rest and elevation are the best things you can do. Ice more often than you think you need to. Muscle soreness and minor pains are normal, but if something isn't normal, don't try to fool yourself that it is. Give yourself several days more than you think to recover. Then try again. If something isn't right, rest, ice, and elevate again. If it's still not right, see a doctor.

Okay, so none of those are mind-blowing, I know. Just another reiteration out there about things you've probably all heard. I also want to be very clear that I don't know anyone that was otherwise healthy that ran into serious issues only running a few miles a few times a week at a comfortable pace. Everyone I know that ended up with problems were training for long distances or really working to get faster. If you're not completely nuts like I was, you don't have nearly as much to worry about.

Despite the issues I've had, assuming my body recovers to the point that it's feasible, I will run again. This time I have a lot more knowledge to build from, which will hopefully prevent any serious injuries in the future. I love running, though, and despite the risks, it's the one form of exercise that I actually look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment